St Joseph’s provides a curriculum which is broad, balanced and which:
- promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and
- prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later lifeWe also make provision for a daily act of collective worship and teach religious education to pupils in all classes, following the programme of study as set by the Archdiocese of Liverpool (Come and See).We make provision for personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE). We also include other subjects or topics of our choice in planning and designing our own programme of education, including Forest School, trips out, visitors to school and residential visits
- We participate in many events throughout each year, including: charity days, assemblies led by children or visitors, sporting competitions and an annual Shakespeare festival.
- St Joseph’s is legally required to follow the statutory national curriculum which sets out in programmes of study, on the basis of key stages, subject content for those subjects that should be taught to all pupils. We also publish our school curriculum by subject and academic year online.
- The school curriculum comprises all learning and other experiences that we plan for our pupils. The national curriculum forms one part of the school curriculum.
To encourage children to take up a musical instrument, each year every Year 4 child who would like to can try a woodwind and a brass instrument. Following this trial, 6 children are selected (due to aptitude) to be given one hour per week free woodwind (flute or clarinet) tuition until they leave school in Year 6. The same also happens with brass tuition (usually with the trumpet).
End of Year Expectations
St Joseph’s Curriculum
Details of St Joseph’s curriculum is outlined below:
- Year 1 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- Year 2 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- Year 3 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- Year 4 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- Year 5 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- Year 6 Maths Long and Medium Term Plan
- English Long Term Plan
- English Curriculum
- Reading – The teaching and learning of reading is supported by a variety of resources. Oxford Reading Tree is the main scheme in operation at St Joseph’s. Read, Write Inc. is the main scheme used to teach phonics.
- Design & Technology
- Modern Foreign Languages (Spanish) – to be updated
- Physical Education
If you require any further information then please contact us.